As an independent research organization, the Morgridge Institute for Research explores uncharted scientific territory to discover tomorrow’s cures. In affiliation with the University of Wisconsin-Madison, we support researchers who take a fearless approach to advancing human health in emerging fields such as regenerative biology, metabolism, virology and medical engineering. Through public programming, we work to inspire scientific curiosity in everyday life.
The Accounts Payable/Accounting Specialist assists and supports Administration in several accounting functions including processing payables, reconciling accounts, assisting in managing purchase orders, managing fixed assets, and other appropriate accounting data and the maintenance of accounting department files. The Accounts Payable and Accounting Specialist also assists others in the Finance Department, as assigned.
- Record and review requisitions, receipts, purchase order generation, processing purchase invoices, check requests, reimbursements, and other accounts payable transactions, ensuring for appropriateness, support documentation, routing, and account coding. This process generally includes vendor set up and maintenance, approval verification, data entry, mailing checks and filing backup.
- Record and manage monthly credit card statement and employee reimbursement process, including gathering reports and approvals from all card holders, recording the credit card accrual, and entering expenses and payments in the financial system.
- Maintain electronic accounts payable files and general ledger binders and records.
- Assist with the process of withholding payments and 1099 and 1042 fillings at year-end, as needed.
- Record and manage the fixed asset purchases including adding purchases and electronic support documentation to the fixed asset system, meeting with various labs to document and tag items, and complete a fixed asset inventory review.
- Monitor deposits and record cash transactions for review in the financial system.
- Assist in helping Morgridge departments and labs to resolve problems related to purchasing, accounting, and finance
- Assist in maintaining other departments and labs manual and electronic documents for auditing, review, and approval of expenses to ensure conformity with funding agencies, institutional policies and regulations, and for preparation of audit schedules.
- Assists with post award grant accounting functions as needed, which may include monitoring financial activity of new and ongoing agreements and contracts to ensure that reporting requirements and deliverables are met.
- Provide assistance with other projects, as necessary to support the mission, goals, and financial objectives of the Morgridge Institute for Research.
Education and Experience
- Associate degree in accounting or equivalent experience
- Minimum of three years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of experience and education.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping principles necessary (Assets vs. liabilities, debits/credits, expense vs. revenue, etc.)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and familiarity with accounting software is necessary
- Strong data entry skills
- Ability to handle multiple assignments at one time
- Ability to prioritize
- Accuracy and detail orientation
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
Qualified individuals interested in this opportunity are required to submit a cover letter and resume as one document.