As an independent research organization, the Morgridge Institute for Research explores uncharted scientific territory to discover tomorrow’s cures. In affiliation with the University of Wisconsin-Madison, we support researchers who take a fearless approach to advancing human health in emerging fields such as regenerative biology, metabolism, virology and medical engineering. Through public programming, we work to inspire scientific curiosity in everyday life.
The Morgridge Institute for Research seeks a highly motivated individual to fulfill the role of (Assistant/Associate/Senior) Scientist in the Pagliarini lab within its growing Metabolism Theme. The Pagliarini lab takes a multi-disciplinary approach to investigate uncharacterized proteins. By integrating classic biochemistry, molecular biology, and genetics with large-scale proteomics and systems approaches, the Pagliarini lab aims to elucidate the biochemical underpinnings of mitochondrial dysfunction in human disease. The successful candidate will have a strong analytical background and an interest in the research scope described above, and will be responsible for fully leveraging protein expression and purification technologies to support the research area. The candidate will provide technical support regarding strategy and implementation of purification initiatives, and the subsequent design of protein-based assays. Areas of focus include, but are not limited to, purification and biochemical characterization of proteins related to coenzyme Q biosynthesis, complex I assembly, and mitochondrial phosphorylation.
- Proactively implement strategies using state-of-the-art technologies to ensure delivery of purified proteins in a timely fashion
- Apply analytical methods to ensure proteins are in high quality
- Assist in the design of robust protein/enzymatic assays to test protein activity and function
- Establish protocols for protein production from various sources (e.g., wheat germ extract, bacteria, yeast, insect cells, and mammalian cells) as needed for each project
- Effectively collaborate with scientists on an array of projects, play an integral role on project teams, and help establish/maintain appropriate laboratory standards for work ethic and work quality
- Proactively investigate and improve existing processes and implement new technologies
- Maintain accurate electronic laboratory notebooks and other records. Write technical reports, summaries, protocols, and manuscripts
- Produce publication-quality data that contributes to one or more publications annually
- Train other lab members in areas of expertise (including protein expression and purification, experimental design)
- Conduct data analysis and prepare data for presentation in peer-reviewed journals and at professional meetings
- Present results to professional and lay audiences regarding the research being conducted in the laboratory
- Support the mission of the Morgridge Institute for Research by collaborating with scientists either at the Institute, at the University of Wisconsin, or in the global research community
- Attend meetings at the Morgridge Institute for Research and other meetings as required
- Miscellaneous duties as required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary duties.
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, or a related field
- Protein purification experience is required, combined with an excellent understanding of protein expression and general protein biochemistry
- Experience with protein purification equipment (FPLC systems, columns, bioreactors)
- Strong publication record
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Demonstrated knowledge of biology, protein purification, and scientific principles
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Strong ability to exercise considerable discretion in the selection of research topics
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as collaborate within a team
Qualified individuals interested in this opportunity are required to submit a cover letter and resume as one document via the link below.