As an independent research organization, the Morgridge Institute for Research explores uncharted scientific territory to discover tomorrow’s cures. In affiliation with the University of Wisconsin-Madison, we support researchers who take a fearless approach to advancing human health in emerging fields such as regenerative biology, metabolism, virology and medical engineering. Through public programming, we work to inspire scientific curiosity in everyday life.
This opening is for a highly experienced and self-motivated individual to support state-of-the-art Light Sheet Microscopy instrumentation as a Field Applications Specialist. As a member of the Huisken Lab at the Morgridge Institute for Research, the candidate will work within a multi-disciplinary team that includes scientists and engineers. The applicant will be located on the East Coast, support collaborator sites in this area and focus on rapidly jump-starting collaborators on our microscope platform, Flamingo.
- Deploy new instruments, such as the Flamingo, into key customer alpha and beta-sites, provide onsite product support, analyze and present key findings and recommendations to the product development team.
- Act as a high-level interface between the Huisken lab and collaborators; cultivate positive relationships.
- Provide technical and application assistance in response to collaborators enquiries, including education, training and on-site visits.
- Provide start-up data storage, visualization and analysis training to collaborators in their laboratories.
- Independently conduct tests and experiments to validate proposed solutions.
- Upgrade, align and repair existing microscopes. Work with hardware manufacturers to ensure continued operation of the technology.
- Provide continuous feedback to the Flamingo team on system performance, features, and problems while collaborating with the development group on future product developments.
- Make recommendations as to how products could be improved.
- Prepare and present on-site demos and technical presentations on the features and benefits of our products to existing and potential collaborators at trade shows, conferences and customer locations.
- Work to deepen and broaden the Huisken Lab’s collaborations with key scientific and educational leaders by identifying them, studying their research topics and providing microscopy technology, e.g. Flamingo.
- Stay current on scientific and industry trends and innovations.
- Write technical reports based on customer interactions and act as co-author on scientific publications with collaborators. Assist in preparation of internal documentation and record keeping.
- Summarize trends and technology as technical tips, FAQs and troubleshooting guides.
- Assist in planning and organizing in-house and external workshops including participating as an instructor.
- Assist in developing educational content for company hosted websites, videos, seminars, applications reports, etc.
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive laboratory data and organization information
- Ensure that safe laboratory procedures and protocols are followed at all times, especially in the application of universal precautions in handling of biological and clinical samples.
- Other miscellaneous duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be considered and may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary responsibilities.
Education and Experience
- PhD in physics, biology, bioengineering, biotechnology, biology or chemistry.
- Knowledge of advanced technology and troubleshooting as well as operational optimization experience of microscopy equipment for life science applications.
- Knowledge of techniques and trends in modern microscopy and related fields, ideally knowledge of strong scientists in life sciences as potential collaborators.
- 3+ years hands-on light sheet microscopy experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- An experienced technologist wanting to be involved with a dynamic team and exposed to a constant variety of customer application areas.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills are required for extensive contact with customers.
- Proven track record of analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proven ability to interact with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and a strong work ethic is critical.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Anticipates needs and problems while creating solutions
- Is curious, inquisitive, innovative, and never satisfied with the status quo.
- Typically able to work remotely from a home office.
- Ability to travel up to 50% working hours throughout the East of North America will be required, including frequent visits to the Madison team.
- Valid Driver’s license is required.
- Demonstrations may require moving equipment: manual dexterity and ability to safely lift up to 50 pounds required.