As an independent research organization, the Morgridge Institute for Research explores uncharted scientific territory to discover tomorrow’s cures. In affiliation with the University of Wisconsin-Madison, we support researchers who take a fearless approach to advancing human health in emerging fields such as regenerative biology, metabolism, virology and biomedical imaging. Through public programming, we work to inspire scientific curiosity in everyday life.
The Lead Help Desk Specialist serves as the IT coordinator for providing assistance to users of the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery, WARF and the Morgridge Institute for Research. This position focuses primarily on incident management, event support, and leads the efforts of the Help Desk. Responsibilities include coordinating basic user technical training and support, overseeing and supervising student workers, overseeing the IT department’s library of instructional materials for user applications and making recommendations for additions to learning aids and tools. The position also conducts needs assessments, evaluates assistance currently being offered and develops approaches to enhance company capabilities for user and event support.
- Assist employees with IT-related questions over the phone and in person
- Maintain the Service Desk software environment
- Manage student staff including managing schedules and conducting training and performance reviews
- Configure, install, troubleshoot and repair PCs
- Coordinate activities in support of user training and assistance requests
- Determine event presentation needs and coordinate the deployment of multimedia and presentation technology
- Operate and configure audio visual equipment for meeting support
- Isolate problems with AV systems and make equipment substitutions to provide immediate resolution of system failures
- Keep management up to date on the status of incidents, projects, and service requests
- Work with users and IT personnel to ensure that user assistance is being provided effectively and efficiently
- Train users in learning new company-provided applications and assists in problem solving for applications issues
- Maintain Help Desk tickets
- Recognize problem areas and develop pro-active solutions
- Maintain network and PC preventive maintenance efforts to ensure network and data integrity
- Test new software applications and recommend purchases where required
- Provide timely follow-up to users and management on all support issues
- Assist with network and service management when necessary
- Assist other members of technical staff with support issues when requested
- Maintain physical inventory
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary functions.
Education and Experience:
- An associate degree in information technology or computer science or equivalent work experience; a bachelor’s degree in information technology or computer science is preferred
- Three years of infrastructure/network support or related IT experience
- Previous experience supervising and/or training student employees or new hires is a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Excellent customer service, verbal, and written communication skills
- Knowledge of technology environments including LAN/WAN, UNIX, Windows, Apple/Mac; Office, and Exchange; desktop support, telecommunications, and collaboration software such as Zoom, Webex, and Zoom
- Demonstrated skills in managing vendors and purchasing activities
- Ability to organize, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to plan and implement event and IT related projects
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
In order to ensure the safety of our workplace, proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required unless an exemption is granted for medical, disability or religious reasons.
Qualified individuals interested in this opportunity are required to apply via the link below.