As an independent research organization, the Morgridge Institute for Research explores uncharted scientific territory to discover tomorrow’s cures. In affiliation with the University of Wisconsin-Madison, we support researchers who take a fearless approach to advancing human health in emerging fields such as regenerative biology, metabolism, virology and medical engineering. Through public programming, we work to inspire scientific curiosity in everyday life.
A Postdoctoral Research Associate position is available in the newly established Grant Laboratory within the Morgridge Institute for Research. The focus of the lab is the development of methods for single-particle cryo electron microscopy (cryo-EM) and cryo electron tomography (cryo-ET). The lab also develops the software package cisTEM, a user-friendly package for processing cryo-EM data.
- Develop, design, and conduct experiments and research focused on cryo-EM methods development.
- Develop algorithms for cryo-EM image processing using the cisTEM software package.
- Conduct data analysis and prepare data for presentation in peer-reviewed journals and at professional meetings
- Assist PI and other collaborators, or may act independently, in planning and designing research experiments; establishing priorities and recommending schedules, time tables and costs.
- Write manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed journals and independently peer-review manuscripts
- Assist in the preparation and submission of grant proposals to funding agencies and provide funding agencies with progress reports as required
- Present results to professional and lay audiences regarding the research being conducted in the laboratory
- Mentor graduate and undergraduate students
- Support the mission of the Morgridge Institute for Research by collaborating with scientists either at the Institute, at the University of Wisconsin, or in the global research community
- Attend meetings at the Morgridge Institute for Research and other meetings as required
- Other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor or laboratory needs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary duties.
Education and Experience:
- A Ph.D. in biology, biophysics, physics or a related field.
- Experience in image / signal processing.
- Experience with cryo-EM data processing is desired, but not essential.
- Experience with software programming. Ideally C++ programming.
- Strong publication record
Interested candidates should submit a curriculum vitae, a list of three references and a one-page statement of research interests as one document via the link below.