As an independent research organization, the Morgridge Institute for Research explores uncharted scientific territory to discover tomorrow’s cures. In affiliation with the University of Wisconsin-Madison, we support researchers who take a fearless approach to advancing human health in emerging fields such as regenerative biology, metabolism, virology and medical engineering. Through public programming, we work to inspire scientific curiosity in everyday life.
The person in this role will be responsible for identifying, prioritizing and managing projects related to the division between our internal IT department and our research computing group. This will include meeting with stakeholders to understand requirements and timelines, and working with the respective groups to ensure a smooth execution of all projects.
- Define project scopes and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring resource availability and allocation
- Develop and maintain detailed project plans to track progress and action logs
- Organize and lead project meetings and compile project status reports to stakeholders and project teams to drive deliverables on schedule and develop resolutions to mitigate risks/issues.
- Use appropriate verification techniques to manage changes in project scope, schedule and costs
- Lead project execution to ensure standard Project Management best practices are employed
- Measure project performance using appropriate systems, tools and techniques
- Report and escalate to leadership and key stakeholders as needed
- Perform risk management to minimize project risks
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation and prepare reports for leadership
- Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget
- Identify process improvements, providing recommendations and solutions, and implement as appropriate
- Provide leadership team and key stakeholders with a suite of KPIs on project and portfolio performance (dashboards)
- May be called upon for occasional overnight business travel – estimated to be no more than 15%
- Other miscellaneous duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be considered and may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary responsibilities.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors’ Degree in a technical discipline
- 8+ years project management and team leadership experience with proven track record in successfully leading large-scope, technical projects from start to finish
- Previous experience in mentoring management-level employees
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or similar certification required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Comfort working with colleagues in person and using remote collaboration tools with offsite or offshore teams
- Advanced knowledge of project management principles, theories, and concepts
- Ability to utilize fundamental project management methods and techniques
- Ability to influence outcomes and project deadlines
- Ability to track effort and project process using simple fundamentals
- Ability to plan and analyze projects of broad scope
- Strong knowledge of computing and communications, including hardware infrastructure, networking, software, operations, and disaster recovery
- Solid interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels of the organization
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume as one document via the link below.