As an independent research organization, the Morgridge Institute for Research explores uncharted scientific territory to discover tomorrow’s cures. In affiliation with the University of Wisconsin-Madison, we support researchers who take a fearless approach to advancing human health in emerging fields such as regenerative biology, metabolism, virology and medical engineering. Through public programming, we work to inspire scientific curiosity in everyday life.
The Morgridge Institute for Research and Huisken Lab seeks a technically-minded student engineer to work on a range of custom microscopy projects. The individual should be able to apply their creativity to expand the scope of our research in biomedical imaging and work in an organized manner to deliver working concepts under the supervision of the lab’s research staff. Our team is highly multi-disciplinary and the role may include prototyping, optical system design, instrument control, biological sample preparation and rudimentary image analysis.
Student positions offer flexible schedules and an opportunity to gain great work experience. We are seeking a student who can commit 5-10 hours per week (Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.). There may be opportunities for more hours over breaks.
- Working towards a degree with a major in biomedical/mechanical/electrical engineering, computer science or physics. Other specialist areas will be considered if the candidate can demonstrate the necessary technical proficiencies.
- An interest in biological imaging and dissemination of imaging techniques.
- Basic proficiency with C/C++ and hardware programming.
- Basic understanding object-oriented programming and concepts.
- Basic understanding of C/C++ programming and concepts.
- Familiar with the Arduino, Adafruit or Cortex M4 hardware and their software development environments.
- Familiar with the Linux and Mac OS X operating systems and their development environments.
- Ability to wire and build circuit boards.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via the link below.