Who is eligible to participate?
Persons who work in the biological and biomedical sciences, including graduate students, professional students, postdoctoral fellows, laboratory technicians, assistant/associate scientists, or other individuals with a comparable job title at the Morgridge Institute for Research, the University of Wisconsin-Madison (UW), the UW Hospitals and Clinics, or any UW-affiliated biomedical research center or institute.
- Registration Closes: November 9, 2018
- Submission Deadline: December 14, 2018
- Public Voting: until March 1, 2019
- Winners Notified: March 18, 2019
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 608-316-4400.
Any ethical issue arising in or from biomedical research! Some examples include:
- legitimate and illegitimate manipulation of images for publication or presentation;
- arguments for and against returning individual research results to human research participants;
- problems and opportunities in data sharing;
- issues raised by uses of biotechnology for human enhancement;
- arguments concerning uses of animals in research;
- fraud in science.
This is not an exhaustive list! For better or worse, the topics are endless. Make a cartoon about ANY ethical issue that interests you.
Your cartoon should be a sketch, drawing, or painting. We will not accept animations or videos. Your cartoon may contain one to six panel(s) and must be submitted as a digital image. You may submit a sole-authored cartoon, or create a cartoon with a partner.
1st Prize – $3500
2nd Prize – $1000
3rd Prize – $500
IP and Ownership
You will retain ownership of your copyright in the cartoon you create. However, to enter and be considered in the competition you must provide the Morgridge Institute with a license to use the cartoon as further detailed in the Entry Form. For example, we might want to display your cartoon on a website, use it for teaching purposes, or use it while giving professional presentations. If we use your cartoon, you will not be financially compensated but you will always be credited as its creator.