A vibrant, medium-sized city of more than 255,000, Madison is located on an isthmus between the area’s two largest lakes, Mendota and Monona. The city continuously ranks as one of the best places to live, work, play and raise a family.
Madison anchors a thriving economic region that includes the state capital; the University of Wisconsin–Madison, a world-class public research university; bold arts and cultural venues; premiere dining experiences; Big Ten sports and activities; and growing technology and research companies. The city combines businesses, government, culture and advanced culture all in an impressively beautiful, compact metropolitan area.
The city is nestled in south central Wisconsin—less than three hours from Chicago and four hours from Minneapolis. Madison is surrounded by five total lakes, crossed with bike trails, and boasts more than 15,000 acres of sparkling lakes and beaches, and 260 parks for skiing, camping and many more recreational opportunities in a breathtaking natural environment.
While you’re here, be sure to enjoy some of the city’s vibrant events including the weekly Dane County Farmers’ Market, Concerts on the Square, Taste of Madison, Art Fair on the Square and so many more.
Combine all of these factors with clean air, superior educational and health care facilities, a low unemployment rate, great surrounding communities, and a sense of personal security, and you have Madison — a wonderful place to live and work.
- Ranked No. 3 in Livability’s Top 100 Best Places to Live (2019)
- Ranked No. 10 Best Cities for an Active Lifestyle (2019)
- Ranked No. 4 Best Capital Cities to Live In (2019)
- Named the city with the Best Work-Life Balance by SmartAsset (2018)
- Ranked No. 16 by U.S. News and World Report’s Best Places to Live (2017)
- Listed as the best city in the country in which to raise a family by Zumper in 2018.
- A city where millennials are moving (2018) by Livability
- Ranked No. 2 least-stressed city in America by SmartAsset (2018)
- Madison and the Midwest are emerging new tech hubs by USA Today (2018)
- Ranked No. 4 among the Sportiest Cities in America, according to Men’s Health in 2017, named the Fittest City in America by Fitbit in 2016, and No. 4 in the American College of Sports Medicine Fitness Index in 2018.
- Named the Most Caring City in America in a 2017 study by WalletHub.
- 7 Reasons Why Madison, Wisconsin is the Best Place to Live in America by Business Insider (2014)