I am the lab manager for the Embedded Teaching Labs in the Discovery Building, and I manage the Discovery Shared Research Equipment Program. My goal is to work with campus researchers and technology partners to bring in state-of-the-art equipment to further Institute and campus goals. I am always seeking input from researchers and technology suppliers alike. Additionally, I am part of the Discovery Outreach team. In conjunction with other members of the team, I work on development and delivery of educational content for several programming activities ranging from Saturday Science and Field Trips to adult programs and the 3D Niche.
Areas of Expertise
- Biochemical Engineering
- Microbial metabolic engineering
- Molecular Biology
- Bioreactor/Fermentation Biotechnology
Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, 2008, University of California, Berkeley
B.S. Chemical Engineering, 2001, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech)
NSF Pre-Doctoral Fellow
- M. Schwalbach, D. Keating, M. Tremaine, W.D. Marner II, Y. Zhang, W. Bothfeld, A. Higbee, J. Grass, C. Cotten, J. Reed, L da Costa Sousa, M. Jin, V. Balan, J. Ellinger, B. Dale, P. Kiley, R. Landick, “Complex physiology and compound stress responses during fermentation of alkaline-pretreated corn stover hydrolysate by an Escherichia coli ethanologen,”Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 2012, 78. pp3442-3457.
- T. Youngquist, R. Lennen, D. Ranatunga. W. Bothfeld, W. D. Marner II, B. Pfleger, “Kinetic modeling of free fatty acid production in Escherichia coli based on continuous cultivation of a plasmid free strain,” Biotech. Bioeng., 2012, 109. pp1518-1527
- R. Lennen, M. Kruziki, K. Kumar, R. Zinkel, K. Burnum, M. Lipton, S. Hoover, D. Ranatunga, T. Wittkopp, W.D. Marner II, B. Pfleger, “Membrane Stresses Induced by Endogenous Free Fatty Acid Overproduction in Escherichia coli” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 2011, 77. pp8114-81128.
- S. Hoover, A. Brownson, R. Lennen, T. Wittkopp, W.D. Marner II, S. Zulkifly, L. Grahm, S. Chaston, T. McMahon, B. Pfleger, “Bacterial Production of Free Fatty Acids from Freshwater Macroalgal Cellulose” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 2011, 91. pp435-446
- W.D. Marner II, “Practical Application of Synthetic Biology Principles,” Biotechnology Journal, 2009, 4. pp1406-1419.
- W.D. Marner II, A.S. Shaikh, S.J. Muller, J.D. Keasling, “Enzyme Auto-Encapsulation and Activity Within a Biosilica Matrix,” Biotechnology Progress. 2009, 25. pp417-423
- W.D. Marner II, A.S. Shaikh, S.J. Muller, J.D. Keasling, “Morphology of Artificial Silica Matrices Formed via Autosilification of a Silaffin/Protein-Polymer Chimera,” Biomacromolecules. 2008, 9. pp1-5