My lab develops new methods to understand and combat cancer using photonics-based technologies. We are particularly interested in developing personalized cancer treatment strategies, and in developing more effective cancer therapies. Technology development focuses on metabolic and functional imaging.
Areas of Expertise
- Molecular imaging
- Multiscale imaging
- Optical imaging
- Translational research
Ph. D. Biomedical Engineering, 2007, Duke University
M.S. Biomedical Engineering, 2004, University of Wisconsin-Madison
B.S. Physics, 2002, Washington State University
- Drug response in organoids generated from frozen primary tumor tissues. Walsh AJ, Cook RS, Sanders ME, Arteaga CL, Skala MC. Sci Rep. 2016 Jan 7;6:18889. doi: 10.1038/srep18889.
- In Vivo Autofluorescence Imaging of Tumor Heterogeneity in Response to Treatment. Shah AT, Diggins KE, Walsh AJ, Irish JM, Skala MC. Neoplasia. 2015 Dec;17(12):862-70. doi: 10.1016/j.neo.2015.11.006.
- Optical Imaging of Drug-Induced Metabolism Changes in Murine and Human Pancreatic Cancer Organoids Reveals Heterogeneous Drug Response. Walsh AJ, Castellanos JA, Nagathihalli NS, Merchant NB, Skala MC. Pancreas. 2016 Jul;45(6):863-9. doi: 10.1097/MPA.0000000000000543.
- Deconvolution of fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy by a library of exponentials.
Campos-Delgado DU, Navarro OG, Arce-Santana ER, Walsh AJ, Skala MC, Jo JA. Opt Express. 2015 Sep 7;23(18):23748-67. doi: 10.1364/OE.23.023748.
- Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription 3, Mediated Remodeling of the Tumor Microenvironment Results in Enhanced Tumor Drug Delivery in a Mouse Model of Pancreatic Cancer. Nagathihalli NS, Castellanos JA, Shi C, Beesetty Y, Reyzer ML, Caprioli R, Chen X, Walsh AJ, Skala MC, Moses HL, Merchant NB. Gastroenterology. 2015 Dec;149(7):1932-1943.e9. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2015.07.058. Epub 2015 Aug 7.
- Blind deconvolution estimation of fluorescence measurements through quadratic programming. Campos-Delgado DU, Gutierrez-Navarro O, Arce-Santana ER, Skala MC, Walsh AJ, Jo JA. J Biomed Opt. 2015 Jul;20(7):075010. doi: 10.1117/1.JBO.20.7.075010.
- Photothermal optical lock-in optical coherence tomography for in vivo imaging. Tucker-Schwartz JM, Lapierre-Landry M, Patil CA, Skala MC. Biomed Opt Express. 2015 May 27;6(6):2268-82. doi: 10.1364/BOE.6.002268. eCollection 2015 Jun 1.
- Optical metabolic imaging quantifies heterogeneous cell populations. Walsh AJ, Skala MC. Biomed Opt Express. 2015 Jan 15;6(2):559-73. doi: 10.1364/BOE.6.000559. eCollection 2015 Feb 1.
- Collagen density and alignment in responsive and resistant trastuzumab-treated breast cancer xenografts. Walsh AJ, Cook RS, Lee JH, Arteaga CL, Skala MC. J Biomed Opt. 2015 Feb;20(2):26004. doi: 10.1117/1.JBO.20.2.026004.
- High-throughput measurements of the optical redox ratio using a commercial microplate reader. Cannon TM, Shah AT, Walsh AJ, Skala MC. J Biomed Opt. 2015 Jan;20(1):010503. doi: 10.1117/1.JBO.20.1.010503.
- Improving the odds: Researchers develop novel device to study early stage of breast cancer
- Turning T cells into better cancer assassins
- Morgridge, Meriter research project targets the persistent risk of preterm birth
- Trio of Morgridge Institute medical researchers to speak at Sept. 25 Innovation Network luncheon
- Pushing toward personalized pancreatic cancer treatments
- UW Carbone Cancer Center Study to look for ways to personalize therapy in colorectal cancer
- HOSA students tackle tough subject
- Mentoring, done right
- Model organisms: Peculiar creatures, big discoveries
- Morgridge researcher scores in cancer research ‘lightning round’
- Tapping the ‘wild collaboration’ within biomedical engineers
- Getting personal with pancreatic cancer
- Melissa Skala: Follow the Light to Better Cancer Treatment